Word by Word 2017October 5, 2017 • San Diego Natural History Museum
The honorees included:
- Dr. John Carson, retired cardiologist
- Dr. Allen Chan, chiropractor and CEO of Jasmine Seafood Restaurant
- Mario Conte, J.D., distinguished practitioner with the California Western School of Law
- Jeff Light, Publisher and Editor in Chief of The San Diego Union-Tribune
- Cindy Marten, Superintendent of the San Diego Unified School District
- Kathlyn Mead, CEO of The San Diego Foundation
- Rob Ray, Special Collections Division, San Diego State University
- Dr. Shirley Weber, Assembly Member, 79th District.
Special videos featuring each of the honorees were shown to the crowd to great enthusiasm. The full videos can be seen here.
The event included a presentation by Barnette and Barrett. The two have co-hosted the public radio program A Way with Words together since 2006 but, with producer Stefanie Levine, took over production of the show from KPBS-FM in 2007.
Proceeds from the event benefited the educational nonprofit, Wayword, Inc., that produces A Way with Words.
Sponsors of “Word by Word” included the Dr. Seuss Foundation, Front Porch Communities, Grossmont-Cuyumaca Community College District, KPBS, La Jolla Country Day School, Musick Davison, Lounsbery Ferguson Altona & Peak, Point Loma Nazarene University, Procopio, San Diego Community College District, San Diego State University, The San Diego Union-Tribune, and Wild Thyme Catering.
The Friends of A Way with Words committee, which organized the event, included Martha Barnette, Jack Beresford, Dr. Constance Carroll (co-chair), Ignacio De La Torre, Rosemary Downing-Espinal, Joan Houston Hall, Margaret Lamb, Ken Lounsbery, Dr. Cindy L. Miles, Eleanor Musick, Betty Peabody, Liz Anne Potamianos, Rana Sampson, and Betty Willis (co-chair).
Thank you to our 2017 sponsors!